• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Interested in the KR2...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris9183

I've been planning on the Sonex for my homebuilt for awhile now but I recently discovered the KR2. It's roughly the same price, perhaps a grand or two cheaper, but the main things that attracts me to the KR2 are the cabin space, panel room, the canopy cover, and the overall look of the plane. I'm not concerned about re-sell value, I know I wouldn't get out of it what I put in it. I've checked out the specs for the KR2 and the only thing that really concerns me is the useful load...420 lbs? That's enough for 2 people and 60lbs of fuel (which ain't much). Can't even have luggage. However, these are numbers for a 2100cc VW engine. Wouldn't the useful load increase with a more powerful engine, like the Corvair 3100cc? Basically I'm needing a useful load of 485lbs...that's two 180lb people, 95lbs of fuel, and 30lbs of luggage. Does anyone out there think this is reasonable and attainable on the KR2? I know the KR2S would be a better choice but it's also several grand more expensive and I also don't care for how it looks. I'd just get the Sonex if the KR2 can't be built to meet my useful load goal. Also I'm curious about the overall quality of the plane. I know it's got a very sensitive pitch (I can get used to that). Does it have any other quirks/commonly experienced problems? So...would any KR2 owners out there share their wisdom? Thanks in advance.

Back