• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Calculating AN bolt shear strength

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aerowerx

I can't seem to find any info on the shear strength of AN series bolts.

I have read where 8740 alloy steel is commonly used for AN series bolts, and it has shear modulus of 11,600,000 psi.

Isn't the shear strength a function of the shear modulus and the cross sectional area of the bolt?

If you have a , for example, 3/8 inch diameter AN6 bolt, it would have a cross sectional area of about 0.110 square inches. Multiplying by the above stated shear modulus gives an incredible value of 1281180 pounds!

I know I am missing something here.:ermm:

Back