• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

economical, fast, far

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeepB

Hello,

a year again I postet a thread with requriements and asked for help picking an airplane.

Now, a year later with me being a year nearer to the starting date (in approximately a year) I changed my set of requirements.

Plan or kit build, if the kit is not to pricey (see below)

Since I have many wishes, and I know that many of them won't fit together I ordered them according to importance:

absolutely must-have:
*fast: absolute minimum 140 kts cruise, the faster the better
*cost: I know that this hobby is not cheap, but in my little corner of the world AVGAS costs 11.8$/gallon, at the airport I will be flying to the most 12.85$/gallon. So it is a bit pricey... But I do not only want to look at fuel efficiency but building cost, operating cost altogether. So which is the cheapest for building and operating for the first 1000 hours? Here I also think a plane capable of auto conversion or any alternative propulsion (hybrid?) will be nice.
*place: 2 person + a bit of baggage, both persons relatively big (6'), big plus if it has enough weight left for playing around with some electronics and other stuff

should have:
*starting landing on a paved runway 630x18m (~2000 feet)
*not too long to build (<3000 hours, if less than that even better)

nice to have:
* place for a 3rd person
* not wooden construction (I know its a good material, but I am just not comfortable with it.

The last time I thought of a Cozy MKIV or a BD4, unfortunately the Cozy takes quite long to build.

But this time I am not fixated on a 4 person plane, if there is a 2 person plane that fits the bill (including enough weight left for enough baggage, ( and no 80 lbs is not much) I will of course consider it too, and I guess this widens the possible range.

Thanks for your suggestions
Best regards
Daniel

Back