• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Why can't I just flip the prop around when rotation direction is reversed?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kristoffon

Today I placed an order for the prop for my plane (yay!) and the manufacturer was very concerned about the rotation direction and I had to explain it to him several times until he was satisfied there was no misunderstanding between us.

That's a wooden prop in case it makes any difference.

I've seen prop design guidelines and programs and they only concern themselves with the airfoil shape, never saw one ask for the direction. Structurally it does not seem that one side would be significantly weaker that it had to be mounted a particular way, or even that it would make a difference if it was. The airfoil would meet the air the same way reversed and flipped over.

So I'm left wondering, why?

Back