• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Thinking about a twin-tail design...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cluttonfred

Supporting Member
I am kicking around ideas for a microlight/light sport aircraft, low-wing, two seats, tri-gear, Aerovee or Rotax 912 power. For a number of reasons--low-speed handling, trailering and compact storage without removing the tailplane, and just plain to be different--I am considering a twin vertical tail design.
Miles M28.jpg

Aesthetically, I am thinking of a simplified, almost cartoon version of the Miles M.28, with a large cabin with flat-wrap windshield and canopy/door. With tri-gear and twin tails, comparisons to the Ercoupe will be inevitable, but I am not aiming for two-axis controls or quite that look. Of course, the reduced size and different proportions, flat engine, contant-chord wing and horizontal tail and tri-gear would change the look quite a bit vs. the M.28. I would likely use two all-moving fins with differential movement to increase drag on the inside rudder in the turn for enhanced effectiveness.

I am thinking of very simple, bolted-and-riveted aluminum tube-and-gusset construction for the fuselage and tail. The wing would be cantilever, perhaps a box spar of four tubes or four angles with sheet or Warren-truss webs on all four sides. Ribs would be simple sheet aluminum, separate forward and rear halves, perhaps hydroformed or simply shaped with a rubber mallet around a wooden form. All fabric covered, perhaps microlight-style sewn and laced dacron or traditional glued and shrunk aircraft covering.

Pros and cons? Interesting or awful? Let 'er rip, I've got my fireproof undies on.

Cheers,

Matthew

Back