• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

New airplane design - the two decade project

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DLrocket89

Hi everyone,

I just took a new job, moved from the aerospace industry to the can making industry (food cans, beverage cans, etc). Quite the change, but definately for the better from the job stress point of view. As my wife says, "you're happy again!".

If you search around the forums here (not worth the effort, I assure you) you'll find a bunch of threads from me about "I want to build this plane" or "what about this plane" etc etc. Some life events have settled out some (2 year old daughter, another on the way, new job, etc) have slowed the pace, dictated some changes (I started making formblocks for a Mustang II and then had a kid -need more than 2 seats now). Right now, I'm thinking about probably building a Bearhawk to fly the family around in (current estimation - start in 4 years, finish in 6 years for 10 years from now). My wife and I also wanted a small open cockpit biplane for fun, I was thinking about probably a Hatz Bantam or Hatz Classic or something. Another 5 years or so maybe?

After that, I want to build a plane of my own design. My new job is 50-60% travel, so I'll have a lot of time sitting in hotel rooms to be working on the design project. That said...

I know that there are a lot of resources available and already posted on this site, various books, things like that, on very specific topics. What I'm looking for is help in the big scheme of things, help in kind of an "aerospace project management" sort of way. From my previous work in the aerospace industry and from reading here on the site, I'm guessing the overall flowchart looks something like this:

1) Define the mission
2) Trade study between different layouts ("traditional" vrs canard, front engine vrs back engine, etc)
3) Preliminary design - rough wing and control surface sizing, rough W&B estimates, engine class selection, material/construction technique selection
4a) Detailed design - design and make CAD drawings of components
4b) Analysis - strength analysis, flutter (I know that's hard to do) analysis, etc
5) Build

If someone with more experience can comfirm/refute/add/subtract from that listing, that would be a fantastic start. I already have the mission pretty much defined in my mind, but I don't want to get too far ahead of myself.

I have probably 100 nights/year indefinately to work on it. I have a 9 year old dell laptop running Xubuntu. I understand I'll have to learn a lot (CAD, basics of various analysis techniques, etc)...that's the whole point. There are plans and kitplanes available that would fullfill the mission that I have in mind. But..sometimes it's not the destination, it's the journey.

...plus, the destination is pretty darn awesome. :roll:

Thanks in advance for help!

Dustin Lobner
Madison, Wi

Back