• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Blew a Apex seal

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HeliDev

Relax it was in my car.
However I though I would share the experience.
When I got the RX-7 I new the motor was a little tired, the comp was down a little, but that was only to be expected with the number of Ks on the clock.
I must say that I have been hard on the engine, mainly out of curiosity as Im planning on putting one in an aircraft (looks like a gyro at the moment), and I wanted to see how they handled the hard work.
Ive been nothing but impressed with the engine so far, smooth, lots of power, and its been bullet proof in the reliablity.

I had been getting a bit fussy to start in the mornings, and combining that with the slightly reduced power, I knew the end was near.
Pulling away from the lights on the way into work, 1st gear, 6k RPM, bang, engine still running, doesnt sound very good, only got about half power.
I coaxed it along to the nearest side street, and parked it. Currently waiting to find out how much its going to cost.
The reason I thought that some might find this interesting is that like rotary nuts always say is that the dont stop, even with a big malfunction.
I must say that I have found this to be true. The engine even restarted, twice.
Ive had a couple of piston engines break in comparable ways, and neither time did they continue to run, or restart.
Cant wait to get a rota flying:D

Back