• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Polycarbonate Wingsuit

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JetBirdz

I'm designing and building a non-fabric wingsuit.
During the model making stage, polycarbonate sheeting was great for getting the shapes outlined.

View attachment 12282Now as I'm designing/building/ testing the full size version I've had to increase the thickness of the polycarb to maintain structural integrity. I also need some parts oven moulded.

I'm reinforcing the wing with a skeletal articulated spar which also handles the retraction of the wings. These spars are currently made from steel and aluminium tubing with fibreglass rods and stainless steel threaded bar.
The steel/alum/FG rods may soon be replaced with simpler welded SS tubing. No glueing , fewer parts , not much more weight. Making all bolt heads/ nuts/screws flush with the surface is also proving challenging.

Due to my design process and limited funds the materials I've been using are relatively cheap, readily available , possibly inappropriate materials.
Now the design has matured a bit , I feel the need to use better materials if possible.

left forearm wing.JPG

The advantages of the polycarbonate has been that it is *affordable, * easy to work with *attractive * flexible * transparent * ready made in different thicknesses *quick and cheap to replace parts * relatively light and tough.

Its disadvantages have proven to be *low scratch resistence* poor fatique characteristics if cold folded * attaching reinforcement creates high stress areas at hinges.*

I've been doing some research looking for possible replacements but still unsure what my best options for ready made sheet plastic skinning materials are ???

It needs to be flexible but strong.
Carbon fibre would be good for its strength /weight but its rigidity concerns me in this design which requires a large degree of flexibility. For now the polycarb is doing OK.

Is there some form of standard arrangement when passing steel through plastic,? eg using rubber/urethane grommets ..bit like suspension mounting in motor vehicles. I'd like to eliminate/minimise the wear at the hinges where the polycarb meets the spar tubing.

Any clues welcome

Back