• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

some advice?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S

st.

Hello,

I have been reading this site for quite some time, but have never gotten around to posting. As others have said, this seems to be one of the most knowledgable groups of people that I have come across, so I was hoping that I could find some help here.

I have been wanting to build a plane for quite a while and can now finally affoard to do so. I have been researching the different kits and plans available for several years trying to decide which is best for me and have narrowed it down to several choices. This is getting hard since none of them are perfect.

My current first choice is the Wittman Tailwind. I read a report by CAFE that makes it sound like a good performing plane, but performance seems to vary greatly with this one. The biggest advantages I see here are: low cost to build, fabrication methods that I'm very familar with, good speed and economy, and decent short field performance. The only drawback I can come up with is that there could be something better.

Another that appears to be a good choice would be the Vision. This one has all the advantages of the Tailwind, but seems unproven. How many have been built? Why so few? It sounds really good, does it not live up to claims?

Others that I have kind of ruled out but am still considering are:

The RV and Murphy's. I know they are good planes, and probably the fastest way to build, but its a little high priced for me and I want a little more freedom to customize than these complete kits provide.

The Cozy or Long EZ. I really like these planes, and would choose one of these for sure if they could operate from shorter grass strips.

The Pulsar. Like the Vision, it sounds good, yet I can't find any information on them that is not provided by the designer. Maybe didn't work out as advertised?

These are the planes that I see as the best for me after quite a bit of research. Does anyone here have any suggestions on other designs that I may have overlooked? Or have any advice for or against any of the above?

Thanks, and I look forward to your comments.

Back