• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Folding wing designs?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rtfm

Hi guys,
I was wondering if any of you might have some design details, sketches, explanations etc for how to construct a folding wing.

I used to share a hangar with a guy who had a Thorpe T-18, and his wings folded, but the effort to do so was off-putting, and he grumbled and complained every time he had to do so. I'm looking for a simple hinge arrangement, so that the outer third of each wing (ie at the flap/aileron junction) can be unbolted, and flipped up and over to rest on the inner section on the wing. But it has to be easy and quick to fold for a single guy on his own out at the airfield.

In my neck of the woods, there is NO hangar space available. NONE. But when I've asked, I've always been told that if I had a plane with folding wings, which didn't take too much space, they could always find me some corner somewhere. So, while I'm terribly sceptical about folding wings in general, if I could find a really quick and easy implementation, I think it may be worth a try.

I'll be using two pul-pull cables to operate each aileron, so I'm guessing the cables can be left intact when folding? Orion was talking about a while back about using electro-mechanical linkages for the ailerons. That would be even better, because the only contact with the folding wing panels would be some electrical wiring. But I don't know how to do this, so it is still cables at this stage.

Any ideas? Pictures? Drawings?

Regards,
Duncan

Back