• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Laminating resin

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pods8

Per my other thread about figuring out a structural calc for a light weight sandwich core pop-up truck camper I'm thinking about building (big thanks to wsimpso1 for helping me with the calculation spreadsheet) I now know what I need to do reinforcement wise to make the various areas work depending on the final geometry I want. So now its time to start looking at the construction supplies to see where my bill of materials stacks up before pulling the trigger or not on that aspect of the project.

In general I'm leaning towards 3 plys of 7781 over the bulk of the project with reinforcement where required. This is going over polystyrene foam board.

I'm researching my options but ideally I'll glass up the various panels laying horizontal hand laid up, and then join and reinforce them in the corners. As I'm not really coming close the design strength in most areas I'm assuming the bond strength of my resin choice is going to be the most important aspect as opposed to overall strength.

I'm estimating total surface area to be ~60yd^2 at this very rough dimensional stage I'm at. So 3 plys of ~10oz/yd^2 fabric over 60yd^2 and assuming a conservative 60%resin/40%glass ( I was thinking this should cover wastes during the project and final coating, etc.) would require 2700oz/~170lb (over 15gal) of resin. Assuming I did that right.

So resin costs are important in the go/no go decision making of this project. I've looking around for pricing on various resins and I'm interested in some feedback on which would and wouldn't be adequate for the application I'm pursuing. By the way winter/spring temperatures around me are 40-60F normally, I can heat for periods if required but as much as that can be minimized the better.

Here are the prices I've found (All prices adjusted to make 5gal of mixed resin/hardner):
US Composites $200
Aeromarine $220
System 3 $330
Jeffco $350
MAS $400
Proset $465
West System $500

Any input on which of these I should be reading up more on (or eliminating from consideration) or any other suggestions based on what I'm trying to accomplish?

Back