• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Airplane design (help a newbie)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Willzilla

Some of you would have seen my welcome thread and ive completely changed the design of my plane. Ive yet to get that book and I will for christmas probably or some other time. I got in contact with SAANZ and there are about 13 homebuilders down here where I live! I had no idea but every month they go on a fly away somewhere and try to get as many people to come with them for free to get people interested in aviation. The guy I talked to said that if hes going to go for a fly he will let me know and he will take me if I can get a ride out to the aerodrome which is awesome! Im going to join SAANZ next year probably and a procedure book comes with membership that tells you lots about building planes.

So for now, im making different designs so I can develop them when I have more knowledge on building and designing planes. And before starting a build im going to make sure I have a bit of experience too and know more about ultralights.

This were made in a game called Garry's mod 10. You only have set shapes or "props" that you can use to build stuff so I made this plane using them. I would change a few things on it but its a bit tricky now. It has a pusher set up if you couldn't tell and is designed to run on an electric motor which im going to be building and if its not good enough then oh well! If it used a normal petrol engine then a few changes would need to be made to balance it more I think. I think its quite a cool new design!

gmconstructflatgrassv50h.jpg

gmconstructflatgrassv500.jpg

gmconstructflatgrassv50.jpg

I would change a few things like the support spars to the tail would be shorter for prop clearance and they dont need to be as long as the are. The rudders/ elevators would be bigger and maybe even a small elevator control surface in between both of them (help with strength too). I could make them both go down more and up a little bit more to make the control surfaces bigger. There would be a few changes to the fuse frame undercarriage so the rear wheels maybe dont angle back so much but I think they are ok like that with maybe some extra springer supports attached would help. You can see the triangles in the frame it looks pretty strong to me but may be changed to make everything triangles instead of mostly triangles. And the wings would be proper wings ive course and the tips would be rounder etc much like a bantams wings but slightly different.

Im poster here because I would like advice on design and guidance. Criticism is good but please try to make it constructive as much as possible!

POST EDIT:

gmconstructflatgrassv50z.jpg

Ive made a few things better! It has no ailerons and to control it all you need to use are the pedals. each pedal moves each tail boom for control. Im going to test this on an RC plane and tweak if it needs it for better control. If it works well it could be a great plane for photography because your hands are free (apart from throttle but that isnt that hard). Hopefully it once you get the hang of flying it it will be a big like second nature and controlling it wont require much thought. The pedals in the game actually work when you move them but I cant really record it I might try though. The plane would only need a small engine so electric doesnt matter anymore so much but it would be cool one day. I put in an engine and where the petrol tank will go (might be inside the wings once is done for upward visibility). The frame could be cover some more for less drag which would be very hard and up to whoever makes it. Im going to start building a radio control test model and see what works best and fine tune the design. Feedback would still be helpful :)

gmconstructflatgrassv50t.jpg

Last edited:
Back