• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Sad story

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Richard6

By now I'm sure all of you have heard about the Minnesota pilot who crashed in the Wyoming mountains with 3 of his children on board.

Unfortunately it sounds like pilot error. Reports have it that he took off in a snow storm from Jackson Hole to fly to Minnesota. About 50 minutes into his flight, he reported icing and inability to maintain altitude. The mountains between Jackson Hole and Minnesota are about 1,3800 ft. If I understand the FAA rules, this altitude would require oxygen. It is not clear to me if the flight was during night time or not. In any case, with snow and blowing, I am sure he was not able to see any distance ahead.

From the photos I have seen, and the reports from the crash site, it appears the he flew into the mountain side. All on board were killed by blunt force trauma.

From photos of the plane (before crash) it appears that it did not have any deicing equipment. Why he would take off in a snow storm and try to fly over mountains approaching 14,000 feet is beyond me.

Said indeed.

Richard

Back