• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Scarfing and laminating wing spars

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeff R

Another request for opinions....

The center spars for my F12A are a bit under 17' long. I know that laminating thin sections of spurce together to build up to the required thickness is acceptable, even encouraged for reasons that have been talked about elsewhere on this board.

I have not heard opinions about splicing shorter pieces together to make up the required length for the laminations. Specifically, since the longest lumber than can be shipped by UPS is 8' (and I wish to avoid expensive trucking fees and added costs to get 17' long spruce - yikes), is there really any problem in scarfing together three or four shorter pieces for each lamination layer? Of course, the scarf joints would have to be offset, such as the following 4-lamination spar diagram shows, where each - is a foot of spar (or so) and each / is a scaft joint.

--/------/-------/--
----/-------/------
------/--------/---
---/-------/-------

Is there any ideal placement of the splices? That is, is it better to center them with the fuselage, such as:

--/-------/-------/--
------/------/------
--/-------/-------/--
------/------/------

Would it be better to use longer lumber, such as 12', as follows, to reduce the number of splices?

-----/------------
-------/----------
---------/--------
------------/-----

The process to make the spar would be to cut strips of spruce maybe 3/8" thick. The wood would be inspected, scarfed at 1:12 or so, cleaned and glued straight to make the required length plus some spare. After curing, each lamination layer would be run through a planer to make the surfaces flat and parallel, then the laminations would be stacked and glued together. After the stack dries, the completed spar would be planed and edged to the required final dimensions.

Either T88 or possibly resorcinol would be used. I am using T88 for the ribs, but wonder if resorcinol might be better for the spars.

Thanks,
Jeff

Back