• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Aerobatic Considerations

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shafferpilot

So I've been contemplating a design for many many years (built as a model when I was a kid). And I decided to start the design in earnest. I won't divulge any details just yet since I'm in the initial concept and sizing arena right now. However, my brain seems to dwell on things I have no information about yet despite the fact that I simply don't need the info yet. So, I was hoping some of you can help me to identify the differences between a standard airplane and one intended for aerobatic flight. I know that load factors change, but I have no doubt that almost every other system and detail has adjustments for all of the flip-flopping and especially negative G maneuvering. For instance, my old aerobatic R/C airplanes used "clunk tanks". The fuel pickup inside the tank has a rubber hose with a large weight on the end so that when the fuel sloshes to the top of the tank in a negative push, the fuel pickup goes with it. Do full size planes use the same concept? Engines can have dry sump oil systems, I know, but I don't really know how they work. What about seats and harnesses that must secure a pilot in any and all positions and loadings? What about the Hydraulic brake reservoirs? My aircraft will have retractable landing gear, if they are hydraulic with their own pump, is their reservoir normally sealed against negative G maneuvers? Are there other factors beyond negative G's that I should keep an eye out for? Any recommended resources specifically for aerobatic considerations?

Back