• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Coolest airport you've ever been too...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nickathome

The thread about the airport on the island made me think of this one. And I'm not talking about large commercial airline airports. What is the most memorable airport you've been to?

In my case, it was when I was on my long cross country when I was going for my private license. I planned the trip and picked this one out of the way airport as one of the landing stopovers. It was someplace in Maryland. Don't remember exactly where as its been almost 20 years ago. Anyway, I remember getting into the pattern and was amazed and how the airport was in between where this small river had meandered and carved a penninsula. The airport was on low land well below this large hill, and on final it was a really neat sight. I landed and got out to be met by this elderly farmer looking man who had heard me come in and who was working on his plane inside of what appeared to be a burned out shell of a hangar. The theme from Deliverence soon fill my head, but the guy was very friendly and was interested in the tomahawk that I was flying, so I let him check out the plane. I hung out there a while just because the place was so cool with its rustic back woodsy almost Alaska like look. I had to be on my way and took a hard look over my shoulder as I climbed out, saying to myself that I'd be back, but I never went back there for some reason. So far no other airport I've been to has topped that place. I wonder if its still around? All I remember was that it was kinda southwest of Frederick Md. Probably a housing development by now. I'm gonna have to try and look it up.

Back