• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

iPad as an engine monitoring system?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MontanaMan

A lot of people are building Briggs & Stratton V-Twin engines for aviation, as seen here: Briggs & Stratton Vanguard 23hp build. Obviously these engines come with no Engine Monitoring System (EMS). There are some free Apps out there which can provide pretty good Electronic Flight Information System (EFIS) capabilities using the built-in iPad sensors.

Is there a system out there that provides sensors and a collection system that can be plugged into an iPad for full engine monitoring? It would probably have to be a combination of sensors, a circuit board to collect the data, and either a wired or wireless connection to the iPad.

Does anything like that exist at a reasonable price? The cheapest I've found is $2000.00. It's hard to justify that kind of $$ for an ultralight mini-cub like mine. Perhaps there is something from the auto racing scene?

I'm picturing a panel with a few basic analogue instruments, and the rest on the iPad.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Back