• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

1 wing tank vs. 2

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MontanaMan

Hey folks. Next year, I'll be replacing the heavy fiberglass fuel tank in the nose of my J3 Kitten ultralight with 1 or 2 wing tanks. I'm thinking of going with riveted .040 aluminum sealed with aluminum brazing.

Should I go with 1 five-gallon tank (actually around 5.5 to get 5 gallons of "usable" fuel) on one wing, or two smaller tanks, one on each wing? The take off weight will be around 500 lbs. The weight of a single tank, filled with premium gasoline will be around 40 lbs. Will the weight differential of a single wing tank pose a major problem with balance during flight? I've never flown with a single tank before.

Let me know what you think.

Thanks!

Back