• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Lycoming O290 top

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Hill

Hi guys. Well I am stuck. I have a set of cylinders from a G model O290 that set up very nicely at 002 over standard and had, in the face of the ridiculous price of rings and even then nobody will give me a delivery date, arranged to have the double keystone groove in the pistons cut for a strait side ring that TotalSeal had promised they could fit with a state of-the-art ring. Just before the machining was to start they informed me, well the machinest, that they couldn't fit the 4.85 bore. So, with all the Covid induced supply chain issues and lycoming effectively orphaning this model, I am once again stopped looking for parts or a modification to a solution. This engine went in various airplanes by the thousands and provided as is still providing reliable service for millions of hours and in the face of the drive to re-engine all these machines with the 320 I would love to find a reliable solution to re-ring this thing with a modification from available parts and a bit of machining to keep them safe and running. So searching for Ideas
John

Back