• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Minimalist electric system

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike von S.

Supporting Member
Has there been any discussion (none that I can find) of using 18V 5Ah power tool battery packs to support a minimalist homebuilt electrical system?

These use the same Li 18650 cells (x10) as larger Li batteries (including EarthX, I assume). They include BMS sophisticated enough for use by the general public, and are housed in very durable packaging. Advantages would include easy removal for charging, ubiquitous availability (including chargers) and, of course, price.
I am building a Flitzer Goblin (very light, single hole, wood and fabric biplane) to be powered by a 2110 VW with dual Leburg electronic ignition; no alternator; no starter; no lights; minimal instrumentation. I imagine at least two such batteries (one for each ignition set).

At 3000 rpm the Leburg requires max 350 mA @12V for each ignition set.

Thoughts?

Back