• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Another nail in the coffin...?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PTAirco

20220816_122136.jpg
Homebuilders in the US are fortunate to have this company as a resource. I remember the first time I saw an Aircraft Spruce catalog in England. I did not know such a thing even existed. It was like opening as treasure chest. I was lucky to have spent the last 20 years within a few miles drive of the West Coast location.

I always found their prices reasonable, but the new catalog makes me angry and disappointed.

Just about every item in there has increased in price by about 25%. I have found plenty of examples of 50% price increases and a few of 100%. Did I say I was disappointed? No. I'm p***ed off. That was just a ten minute sampling. Hardware has skyrocketed. Steel tube, sheet metal, fabric covering materials, everything.

I know some people will blame this on politics (I'm not going there) or this mysterious "supply chain issue" thing.
I think jumping on the covid bandwagon has something to do with it.

The bottom line is: every homebuilt project from now on will cost between 25 and 50% more than it did 2 years ago. Kit manufacturers will have to jack up their prices, lose sales, fewer new projects will get started, lots will be abandoned. Sad times ahead.

Back