• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Fairey D-III Float Plane

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

REVAN

I came across the Fairey D-III while watching a documentary on float planes. What interests me is the float arrangement, as I have considered something similar for my ultralight design. My concern has been that it is different from the traditional pontoon arrangement and I don't know what troubles may lie ahead if I were to pursue it. My interest lies in the ability of this concept to establish a higher AOA for takeoff and landing than is provided by a traditional float. I have a swept-wing design that goes to high AOAs for takeoff and landing and a traditional float may unnecessarily raise the takeoff speed due to limiting the rotation angle. (Note: The Sea-Dart's waterski concept bears some similarities to the D-III's floats.) I have not been able to find any information online that discusses was good and what was bad about this float arrangement on the D-III. I just know that pontoons are more popular, and for obvious reasons.

Does anyone here have any information to pass along regarding how this concept worked (good or bad)? Any opinions on this 3 float arrangement in contrast to the much more common 2 float system?

1659658802501.png

1659658854759.png

Back