• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Care and feeding of your Aviation VW engine

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I am approaching 3 years of committing aviation with a VW derived Aero engine of 2276CC 82x94mm. What have I learned? Set up correctly, operated within it's limitations they will confidently and reliably bring you back to base. Proper maintenance is assumed! The VW of the 60/70's experimental movement was fully understood evolved by the 80s. Looking forward in 2020 40 years later still represents one of the best values in light aviation!

Please share the practices you follow as well as tips and trick to care for and feed your Aviation VW. I will start with Oil. Practice, experience, and plan forward to track.

1. Given the loose fit of a Aircoolved VW and small oil capacity conventional oil makes sense changed frequently to flush contaminants out. My practice is a 25 hour nominal +/-3 hours depending on the planned missions and time available to change it out, either on time, slightly early or slightly late.
  2. Attention to ZDDP content I have been flying 15w45 Rotella T ~1100ppm or Valvoline VR1 20-50 racing oil in the summer based on extensive research I have found that all Diesel only CK4 rated without gas automotive SN ratings will reliably provide 1100ppm. I will consolidate on using only HDEO CK4 diesel only oil. Rotella T4 remains a good choice but ag stores have many that fit this "CK-4 only" filter.
  3. Moving forward I will be doping my oil with a cost effective additive to boost up ZDDP to a sweet spot targeting 1800ppm for flat tappet care. What I am sharing is informational only you are the mechanic in charge and decide if it is for you. I will report back on this string if I experience any issue. This is more of a protective hedge oil sampling and change to change trend lines would be advisory only without the before practice sufficiently documented.
My ZDDP adative of choice comes from and adjacent industry. It is know as CASE HTO additive and is availble at your local CASE Skid Steer dealer for about $35 USD/quart. The purpose it to condition 10w40 motor oil to be suitable for Hydraulic applications. “Case HTO” is a mineral based oil carrier, which contains approximately 97,000 ppm P and 108,000 ppm Zn -Key point this is very concentrated ZDDP content making it an excelent value over the $12 treatments for 5 quarts that do not publish the end ZDDP target coverage. For my Cygnet and my current consumption the $35 dollar bottle is probably good for 40 oil changes or about 20 years...Hopefully less meaning I am flying more than average!

Assuming most CK4 Diesel oils are 1100 PPM and Automotive SN rated motor oils are just under 800ppm simple ratio math 1608379553609.png

Determines that 9ml per quart of SN automotive oil and 6.2ml per quart of CK4 Diesel oil will bring your mixture to 1800ppm.

In Theory 1800PPM is a sweet spot for operating a broken in engine with flat tappets. In theory I will be moving forward providing more optimal care for my engine to reliably bring me home over time.

In practice! I am not batch heating oil or doing inline mixing and compounding and bottling boutique oil. A VW needs depending on external systems attached about 2.65quarts or 2.5l of oil.

My Process Plan:

1. Add 1/2 quart of oil in my funnel and dose with syringe 2.65Quarts x6.2ml =~17ml HTO additive rounded up followed by the other 2.15 quarts. Syringe is fairly repeatable round up to the nearest whole ml. Ideal range is 1800-2200 going over 2200 might work against you. +1 ml is no threat.
  2. Confirm levels and start engine for a 5 minute warm up
  3. Confirm no leaks or address...
  4. Go fly, climbing to elevate oil over 150f for a minimum of 10 minutes- Heat and mix!
  5. Record Oil change in log, return aircraft to normal service
  6. Cut filter apart and address any significant findings that are out of line.
  7. Send samples off to labs if you like to track trend lines
Practically I have had to top off about 6 ounces over 25 hours. I do not plan to compound the top off oil with 1100-1200 PPM of ZDDP will be used as is.

Regards

Matt care taker of NX237F Thank you Zig the builder I am enjoying it!

PS if you are not lucky enough to live near a Case Dealer mail order is available landed cost will be about $55 still an excellent value for 15-20 years of peace of mind

Last edited:
Back