• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

CNC vs laser cutter

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sorslibertas

I was thinking of automating some of the work for my Turbulent build, especially plywood parts such as leading edge ribs for wings, ailerons, horizontal and vertical stabilisers, and rudder.

To this end, I got signed off to use the CNC mill at my local makerspace. While at the induction course, I noticed that there is a laser cutter available to use as well.

Of the two machines, which would be better for my needs? Once the plans are digitised, ease of use would be similar, but I’m not sure if the glue used for aircraft plywood would generate hazardous fumes if cut with laser. A laser cutter would be more accurate, with (I think) less chance of tearout.

Any comments?

Back