• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Q for engineers: How do proven cogbelt or multi-V reductions survive without 'damping' mechanism?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rv7charlie

Supporting Member
I feel that I have at least a redneck comprehension level on the need to avoid torsional resonance in a reduction drive; keeping resonant frequencies of the engine/drivetrain below (and/or above) any excitement frequencies of the driver (engine). And obviously, the drive has to handle the peak torque of the engine, with the MMI of the prop in the equation as well. I'm aware of low resonant freq 'soft' systems like the RWS rotary drive, and also high resonant freq 'stiff' systems like Powersport's rotary drive.
Now to my question, for the actual engineers here:
We see apparently successful belt systems for everything from at least as big as the GM 90 degree V-6 (cogbelt) to [edit, thanks Vigilant1]: 'undamped' muti-Vs) as small as the Ace Aviation drives for the Gaokin V-twins, without any 'soft' element. I know that cogbelts are considered quite stiff; rivaling close mesh gears. The ones I've seen have tensioning systems and no 'soft mounted' idler wheel. Are these cogbelt systems effectively zero lash systems, keeping resonance well above any stimulating frequency? It seems highly unlikely that they are simply strong enough to handle resonance.

The cogbelt systems for smaller engines are quite affordable, and seem to be effective at their mission. I'm just trying to get some grasp on their method; what allows them to be successful.

Last edited:
Back