• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Homebuilt (rebuilt) PPC?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dana

Super Moderator
Staff member
I know there aren't many PPCers here but maybe somebody has some useful insight.

Anybody know how the FAA does (or would) treat a homebuilt PPC?

I believe a few people have managed it, but I've also heard the FAA doesn't like the idea, due to the chute being so labor intensive (even if the labor is in China) that meeting the 51% rule is questionable.

Here's the situation: A friend of mine had a two seat commercially manufactured PPC, which he flew legally as an ultralight under the BFI exemption. He was very ill, and never got the ELSA conversion paperwork in on time, so conventional wisdom says it's now a lawn ornament or pile of parts. He has since passed away, and his widow wants to give it to any of his friends who will use it. Another friend of mine, who wants to get his SP in PPC's, is interested in it, but how can he fly it legally?

My suggestion was to get a receipt from the widow for "parts", including the chute and engine. Then disassemble the machine, buy a bunch of tubing and
hardware from a reputable supplier like ACS, which wouldn't cost that much, duplicate the frame from scratch, and register it as a new E-AB (the beautiful anodized tubing of the original machine would be a dead giveaway, besides he'd need receipts for the raw materials, no?) Then the original materials are "spares".

I know there are [supposedly] "friendly" DAR's who'll pass nearly anything, but this approach seems like it should even be legal... after all, he would be building a new machine.

Any comments?

-Dana

Balance the budget--declare politicians a game species.

Back