• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Ultimate off road aircraft Tug?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pilot-34

Most of me is in IL but my hearts in Alaska
I need a tug that can operate off road across Alaskan muskeg (swamp) up steep hillsides etc.
It needs to be able to carry 1500 pounds with a crew of one and key it needs to be able to pull2000 pounds in those same conditions.
Mission pull a airplane about a mile from a short wilderness gravel strip to a secure privately owned site.
Mission carry the aircraft load between the same two places.
what I visualize building ;
Something on tracks with hydraulic drive
The two main ways I see to go
Is something essentially like a four wheeler ATV or like a Argo ,amphicat Cushman tracster etc. on tracks
The reason I can’t just go with one of those is they have relatively narrow track area and a large area in the middle not above the tracks that they can get hung up on.
44 inches is the widest machine I can access the area with.
Hydraulic drive feels best to me because of the ease of establishing power takeoff with just a couple of couplers .

two things I’m looking for at this point First and the big priority is a valve ,particularly a single stick control valve that would allow me to control speed and direction of both tracks simultaneously but also individually.

The other thing would be wheel motors That would allow me speed of at least 30 mph on gravel services And the torque to operate across muskegs at 10 mile an hour.

Of course once I have a device like this I’m sure I will use it for lots secondary uses.
I plan to, so it kind of needs to be able to keep up with the four wheelers and side-by-side‘s the other guys use.

Does anybody have any input for this project?

Last edited:
Back