• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Hangar Storage Loft Ideas/ Experience Please

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HomeBuilt101

Hey there Cyber Airplane Friends,

I want to build a loft in the back of my hanger and I was wondering if if you all had any pictures/Dream Project ideas you could share or some experience or I wish I cohlda or woulda idead you have had with this project.

One of the many questions for those who are in the wood construction industry is what is the best method to purchase the wood... is it the usual Home Depot visit or should I buy it from a lumber mill?

I don't really plan on storing super heavy items upstairs however I do of course want it to be sturdy and safe so for the floor joist should I go with 2 by 6 or 2 by 10 and 1 foot/ 1.5 foot /2 foot on center.

I have done some home type construction building stick built walls and flooring however on a project like this that is not going to have any live loads to speak of I don't really know what the protocol is.

Regarding the support do people normally just use some kind of four by four support beams or they do they build a stem wall of sorts?

So any ideas or or experience and pictures on the subject would be greatly appreciated. Thanks you all and Happy flying

Back