• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

I finally became a pilot, and now I'm completely confused about my future build.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FishHawk

I posted on this forum a while ago, and everyone seemed to agree that Double Eagle was the best build for me. BUT, now that I've learned to fly, my horizons expanded and nothing is clear anymore.
I found out a lot of the things that I was asking about. A few good sides to buildining here:
Wood, tubing, any raw material costs pennies, but you've got to find it. A bad side is that you're my only source of info on the build, since I'd be the second person to ever build an airplane from scratch in the last 30 years. There are a few who've assembled kits though.

I will be using a Smart engine. It's a turbo engine which is good in this case. It's very light, 64 kg, and it's 82hp. With good cooling it won't have any problems. I got it for freaking 300$, and it's in awesome condition. No scoring on the cylinder walls, emissions are within regulations. I'll put a better oil pump, but it's a square cylinder(bore=stroke), so it won't see a lot of stress despite the "high" rpm. I'll cap the RPM at 4500 which is nothing for a square cylinder gasoline engine. That way I'll still have 70hp usable. I could remap and go to 93hp at 4500rpm, but it might be unreliable that way.

So, Ragwing RW11 Ragabond, some Piper J3 Cub replica, something else? Airplane model is still the unknown. I don't want to build a Double Eagle because of the 60mph cruising speed, but also due to the general lack of space. I want to be able to go to vacation with the airplane, so it needs at least a tiny storage place where I can put two small backpacks.

Last edited:
Back