• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Spring vs Aerodynamic Trim

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaveD

So down at the lighter end of things there seems to be two competing methods of designing trim systems. Either an aerodynamic trim tab mounted on the control surface or a spring loaded arrangement that applies a force to bias the neutral position of the controls. (I know that some commercial jetliners use a jack screw to change the incidence angle of the whole horizontal stabiliser for trim, but I don't know if any light aircraft have this arrangement).

I'm interested in the comparative advantages and disadvantages of the two types. My gut feel is that the spring type is less common, but that's only a guess!

Off the top of my head, a trim tab is not limited to smaller aircraft as it can produce large forces even when manually controlled by the pilot (WW2 bombers for example). A spring/bungee type trim would undoubtedly get heavy if large forces are required. Are there any other considerations? I think I read about sloppy trim tabs being a flutter risk?

Any strong opinions out there? Or is it a case of "They both work so just choose one!"

Cheers
DD

Back