• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Antennas

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spaceclam

Hello,
I have a New-to-me flybaby that was fitted years ago with a whip antenna mounted behind the headrest, and connects to a hand held radio. This airplane is about 30 years old, and one of its issues is radio noise. I have to keep the squelch all the way up, and sometimes it causes me to miss transmissions. It’s not engine noise. It’s more like aliens screaming in my head, and the noise is far louder than the transmission level. The radio works just fine by itself, but there isn’t really much room in the cockpit to use the handheld radio antenna and I like my radio mounted as it is

Seeing as there is corrosion at the base of the antenna and the connector is visibly discolored, I’d like to just replace it all and see if it helps. In looking at antennas, there appear to be nearly identical models ranging from $75 to $1500+. Is there some compatibility issue I am not aware of? Does it need to be sized to work with the lower-power handheld unit? What should I buy?

Thanks in advance,
-Clam

Last edited:
Back