• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Newb from Las Vegas!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CaptainCoyote

Hello! I am a married father of 2 living the fiery hell of Las Vegas, NV. I'm an IT professional who is currently on COVID furlough looking at other employment options. Once I am financially stable again I very much want to get back to flying. Try as I might it is a love I could never shake.

I started flight training in 1991 in hopes of becoming an airline pilot. I got my PPL and was well on my way to commercial and instrument ratings when Clinton downsized the military by 8000 pilots. At this same time Delta laid off 10,000 and I got very discouraged. I changed my major to IT stuff, a decision I have regretted ever since, and told myself I would still fly for fun. That held true until I got married and my new wife thought it would be a better idea to spend money on houses, cars, and children rather than an hour of flying here and there.

Depending on how well my new career pays I have a few targets for what I would like to fly next:

-Ultimate (realistic-ish) goal would to build a Zenith CH701 with a Viking 90
-If that is not in the cards I may look at something like a Challenger II build or good used one
-If that is still too much I may look at building a Badland Aircraft ultralight (right around the corner from me). The cost of the aircraft would be similar to a used Challenger II, but storage would be so much cheaper with the folding wings that would let me take it home.
-As a minimal option something like a used Challenger U/L or other sub $10k craft would be my target

I am open to other suggestions but we'll see where life takes me.

The photo is of me with my Dad (the greatest Dad ever who funded this ungrateful little turd's flying dreams, among other pursuits like skiiing and ice hockey) and my nephews going for a flight as my first passengers as a licensed pilot. I had been licensed for one full week at this point. My Mom was my next passenger and after that it was a slew of girls because it is really easy to get a date when you say "Let's grab some dinner and go flying!" 😁

Attachments

• flying.jpg
    flying.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 30
Back