• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Lightning Bug for sale

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TurbAero

Supporting Member
Hi all,
In order to help fund the new build Bug that I am developing, I will be selling an original Lightning Bug, registration N2024J.
Details for the aircraft are as follows:
Original builder - Wayne Pearce who built several Lightning Bugs and White Lightnings.
Special Certificate of Airworthiness first issued 07th September 1999
Total hours engine and airframe - 59.0
Engine - the original AMW808 100hp
Current location of the aircraft - Winnsboro, Louisiana
The aircraft has the split aft of the cockpit to facilitate transport on a car trailer.
The aircraft was last flown in what seems to be January 2001. It has some minor scuffing to the underside of the nose intake where apparently, the nosewheel collapsed while the aircraft was being moved (not under power) resulting in the nose contacting the ground.
It has a very old and large radio fitted to it.
The to-do list for the new buyer will be to get the engine running or perhaps swapping out the AMW engine for a Rotax 912 like we did for Bug N44XM, tidy up the scuffing to the nose underside and give the entire airframe and its systems a thorough check over. Having not flown for many years, the tires etc will likely need to be replaced and any other rubbers such as hoses etc will almost certainly need replacing.
The aircraft is being sold as-is in its location at Winnsboro. The buyer will need to remove the aircraft at their cost. It is currently hangared so is out of the elements and from what we can tell, it has always been hangared.
My asking price is $9,500 and I am negotiable but where I settle on will depend on interest.
If you are genuinely interested, please private message me with your contact details or express your interest below and I will message you. If you have any questions, please ask away below or pm me.
The price of this aircraft is clearly well under what the new Bug kit will cost and the aircraft is already built. For those on a tight budget but with the strong desire for a Bug, this will be an option for you to consider. Dont expect to be able to buy this and fly it straight away. There will be costs to get it flying again and it should be considered a (small) project aircraft.
As mentioned above, the fuselage is split just aft of the cockpit to facilitate transport on a trailer. Reassembly would take around an hour to bolt on the rear fuselage and hook up the rudders.
Here are some photos and I apologise in advance that they are not the best, and yes, it needs a wash but when the dust is hosed off, it’s actually quite neat.

01AD2980-6AB5-488B-9DDE-4B12D77B148A.jpeg
072AADAD-7F65-4D38-8D0A-EE1BCB4000B8.jpeg
25A39A4B-D86E-41CE-88F8-4B3C4801BD2D.jpeg
34C517AB-9E56-4C44-937B-EE143BCF44C3.jpeg
8A41F78B-8B63-426D-A9F8-F74848D94BC4.jpeg

Back