• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Tell me why this won't work !

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob Kelly

Ok i got a serious question for you Gents out there !

Every time i look at my Gyro out there i think to myself " Man there has got to be a way to get that thing to do a Vertical Takeoff ! "

with that in mind .... Why couldn't a person Beef up the Pre-Rotator system on their Gyrocopter .... and increase the Rudder size so the thrust is re directed enough to counteract the Reverse torque of the Rotor and have vertical take of that way ????
First off , Would a Rudder be enough to counteract such reverse Torque ? I would think that 180lbs of thrust 5' from the center of the torque would be plunty to counteract the torque.... if you could get all that thrust going sideways !

I know Helicopters have their TAIL Rotor on a long boom to give more leverage because the tail rotor doesn't give that much thrust ... so the moment arm needs to be longer.

to mathimatically figure out all the forces involved takes a better man at it than me !
but if it could be done what a great little aircraft that would make a Gyro eh ?
what do ya think ? we can use my Gyro as a guiney-pig ! I know its stats purty well ....
the Rotor Diamator is 22'
Rotor blade width is 7.5"
pitch can be set to probly a max of 10deg
but usually sets at 2deg normaly.
what kind of speed would the rotor have to turn to lift say 400lbs ? and at what pitch would the blades have to be set at ?
Next .... what would the Torque be on turning the rotor that speed ?
Finally .... how much thrust is required at a 5ft. moment arm to counter that torque ?

Now i can hear ya thinking already the Rotor would have to have veriable pitch
but if the rotor was set at say 5 or 8 deg
it would still have autorotational effects and also produce lift .... how much lift is beyond me to figure out .... it is just possable that this could work and be that simple but i dunno ... thats why i am asking you guys ! why won't it work ?

worth chatting about anyway eh ?

thanks !

Bob.....

Last edited:
Back