• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Camp on Airport in IA?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marc Zeitlin

Exalted Grand Poobah
So after driving the F-350/Lance Truck Camper from CA to CT to get my son and then back again (for sightseeing, mostly to places I'd never been before), I now need to bring him back to CT to his fiance' and job, keeping Amazon Web Services from going under, along with the universe as we know it (You THINK you're not dependent on AWS - little do you know...).

The return trip will be by COZY MKIV. I've got a place for us to stay the first night in Co. Springs in a camper at a friend's place at KFLY, but I need to find a place to camp next to the plane in (I think) eastern IA. We'll be heading up to Crazy Horse and Mt. Rushmore after KFLY, and then turning east for a few hours - hence the need for a place in IA. Finding airports that allow camping is (apparently) non-trivial. I've got a few leads, but if anyone can point me to paved, >4k ft. runway airports in eastern IA that allow camping, I'd be eternally (well, a week, anyway) grateful.

Thanks.

Back