• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Safety Question - Seats with Headrests

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PagoBay

One guy in a crash never upgraded his Cessna's old style, across the lap only seatbelts, to proper shoulder harnesses. Nearly cost him and his wife their lives.

Now. three point harnesses and four point harnesses are the usual for even older homebuilt aircraft that I have seen.

Related to this and a safety question I have wanted to ask .... I see a lot of airplanes that have seats with backs that only come to well below the pilot's shoulders. Guaranteed whiplash?

-1-
So why don't more homebuilts have seats with headrests?
The weight added is not so much in return for the safety factor gained. No rear passengers to look back at. Plenty of angle to see the runway at 45 on the downwind.

-2-
What are the best modern seats with headrests for an E-AB that are cheap, light weight, and easy to fit to a kit plane like the Zenith 701 and 750.

Thanks
RMM @ PGUM

Back