• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Letter circulating on the SP/LSA Catch-22

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pilotgary111

The following is a copy of the letter I've been sending out in support of a SP/LSA Catch-22 resolution.

Any comments or recommendations?

I am writing on behalf of all the certificated pilots out there with a denied medical who just want to fly Sport Pilot for fun.

In 2004, the FAA passed into law the Sport Pilot Ruling, which allows new pilots to aviation the chance to earn their wings without the need of a FAA medical certificate and accomplish fewer training requirements too. Just before the ruling passed, DOT came in with an exclusion whereby if a certificated pilot has ever had a medical certificate denied or revoked in any way, then that pilot cannot fly using sport pilot privileges. This is a case of Catch-22 from the start!

A new pilot to aviation IS allowed to fly Sport Pilot with the same or similar medical discrepancies as a pilot with a denied medical certificate and IS doing so today...this is so unfair!

This Catch-22 exclusion MUST GO and let's allow this long awaited Sport Pilot Ruling to be what it was meant to be.... a path for pilots of any experience level, with a denied medical or not, to fly just for FUN!

I am a certificated pilot and also a former Air Force pilot with a denied medical MANY years ago.
I believe that the FAA/DOT needs to act on this allowing many more certificated pilots back into the air again. We all know general aviation needs more pilots today!

Thank you for your time and effort.

Last edited:
Back