• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

ADS-B and engine driven CDI

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DRFlyer

Hey all, I had a question regarding ADS-B out requirements and the ignition system of a myriad of smaller 2-strokes and auto conversions. I understand the requirement is that you must have a mode-S capable transponder with ADS-B reporting if you operate in class C, B, or within the mode C veil (which I very much do), and that you are exempt from this requirement if you don't have an engine driven electrical generator.

If I use a small 2-stroke like a 503 or Hirth F-23, or some sort of auto conversion like a Suzuki or BMW motorcycle engine, most of these engines employ a generator to provide power to a CDI or points ignition. If the electricity is only used to power ignition, would I still need to add a transponder and gps to my aircraft? It would seem a bit strange for a 2-stroke fat ultralight to need one, but the language seems to indicate that fact.

Back