• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Experimental sailplane self-launch electric conversion

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sdupre

Hi all,

I would like to convert an experimental glider to be electric self-launching. The desired major components are: 35 kW BLDC motor, 4-5 kWH lithium battery, a suitable motor controller, and a small in-cockpit control head to control and monitor the system (on/off switch, throttle, a display that shows RPM, power output, battery capacity remaining, motor/controller/battery temperatures, etc.). The exact propulsion system geometry is not critical to the question. Let's say it'll be a belt-driven, rearward folding prop on a streamlined fixed mast. So a nose-mounted FES-style conversion (i.e., from LZ Design) is not an option.

The question: Is there a company, preferably but not necessarily in the U.S., that sells an integrated package of the major components (motor, motor controller, in-cockpit controller, propulsion battery, BMS) suitable for my intended conversion project? My budget for the project is $10K-$15K.

I suspect that I'll ultimately have to cobble everything together for an entirely DIY conversion. But if a vendor offers an electric “flight package” that would shorten my work, it would be a good thing.

I'm aware of Randall Fishman's offerings at http://www.electraflyer.com/price_list.php, even if the website appears quite dated. Just hoping to be referred to similar offerings that would make my project go faster.

Thanks in advance.

Back