• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Header Tank Anchoring - What Works?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wsimpso1

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have designed my fuel system including an 8.5 gallon header tank that must be attached to the fuselage. What are the good schemes for attaching it to the firewall? Why are those the good schemes?

I have come up with several schemes using four hardpoints near the forward corners of the tank allowing me to secure it using threaded fasteners. All of them have generous FOS on everything from +/-6g flight to the 26g forced landing pulse.

The first uses fiberglass angle fittings on the firewall and fiberglass T's on the tank, with AN bolts and self locking nuts in double shear;

The second uses fiberglass angle fittings on both firewall and tank, with AN bolts and self locking nuts in single shear;

The third uses four ClickBond studs on the firewall, fiberglass angle fittings on the tank, and self locking nuts.

I can also fabricate positioning features on the tank and firewall, then run a couple padded straps with bolts through the firewall to tension the straps.

Which ones are bad ideas and why? Which are good ideas and why? What other ideas exist for doing this, and why are they good ideas?

Billski

Back