• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

FWF Weight of Full Dress VW

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marc W

I have always wondered what the installed weight of my 2180 cc VW is. I am doing some work on the airplane so I pulled the engine and setup a Rube Goldberg contraption to weigh it. The engine is complete with everything, including the engine mount, except for the voltage regulator. The engine has the Diehl accessory case, starter, Slick 4220 magneto, GPAS secondary electronic ignition, Zenith carb, airbox, 4 into 2 exhaust, oil cooler, and remote oil filter. I did not drain the oil.

Based on the numbers I read off the scale and a little measuring and figuring, I estimate the weight as 195 lbs. Light it ain't! I weigh just about 195 myself so after I got the engine off, I tried to weigh myself. The rig is a little unstable, so I didn't get an exact weight, but the scale read just about the same as it did with the engine. I am going to try to reweigh it via some other method but I don't think 195 is far off.

upload_2020-1-26_18-51-36.png
upload_2020-1-26_18-50-38.png

Back