• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

2 aero questions about flaps please

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cheapracer

I have 2 questions on flaps if some knowledgeable aero person has a moment please:

1/ Flaperons, clear what they do etc, but why do I not see them in conjunction with ailerons as in being the outer half of the wing. They always seem to be full width on STOLs.

It seems to me that having the flaps to the outer half would help to prevent outer wing stall.

So what's the issue, if any, with having flaperons in the 'normal' aileron position only?

2/ With standard type of hinged flaps seen on most of our homebuilt craft, what would the issue be with having air feed holes) in the lower skin, just in front of the flaps, fed through outlets in the rear spar, sort of a poor man's version of a Fowler Flap, or call it the Fouler Flap!

The flap closed would seal off the flow of course.

Blue holes, Green air flow ....

Fowl Fowler.jpg

Back