• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Lets talk about diesels.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Terrh

There aren't any recent diesel-specific threads, and I've got diesels on my brain right now.
What I don't want in here, is "diesels are a stupid idea". If you think that's the case, please just move along.

What I would like to discuss is:
Available diesels in N.A. (or mail order from china) that might prove suitable in a homebuilt aircraft. Say from 50 to 200HP range.

Mazda has a recent one - the "skyactiv-d" that is all aluminum, extremely light weight (can't find numbers though) and should be available in junkyards cheaply within the next few years. Reliability is still an unknown, and so is figuring out how to make the computer work outside of a car, or using an aftermarket computer on it at all.

The Chevrolet cobalt also came with an all aluminum diesel recently - though I can't find much about it.

I've looked into the recent chrysler/mercedes V6 diesels and think they're too heavy to bother with, it really looks like straight-4's are the only automotive option with any sort of reasonable weight.

Anyone know of any air cooled options? Or other motors, please link to them/discuss their merits and potential issues in here.

Back