• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Chroming Parts

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kyle Boatright

Supporting Member
The RV-10 has 4 unique hinges for the doors. They are plain 'ol steel and are partially exposed to the elements. I'm tempted to have them chrome plated to avoid the chipping/rust that (I think) would happen due to the relative motion of the hinge halves if I painted the hinges.

On the other hand, I've read about hydrogen embrittlement, but don't really understand it. What I wouldn't want to do is create a structural problem in the hinges with the plating process - the hinges are part of a fairly weak door attachment system and I don't want any of them to crack/break.

So, what questions do I ask at a chrome plating shop to make sure they know what they are doing and to avoid hydrogen embrittlement?

Back