• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

General questions regarding designign a panel ( instruments to include, wiring, etc.)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcurcio1989

The project is an Aventura II which is very similar to the sea rey. Time has come to lay out my panel. The engine I am using is a Suzuki automotive conversion similar to the Honda Viking in operating principles.

I was trained in a Pietenpol with an A65 engine and the operation and MO on this aircraft is obviously quite different. The knowledge that I am bringing in is very limited in this area as a result.

As of now my plan is to have an Altimeter, Air speed, VSI tach, water temp, oil pressure, Fuel gauge, voltage gauge and I'm debating on oil temp and egt / cht. I have the oil temp and egt / cht gauges but I'm just not too sure if I want to install them. Unless I buy 4 cht probes, 4 egt probes and the switches for them i think the egt / cht is largely worthless and that cost will add up quick and I 'm just not sure if it really adds any value. With a water cooled engine I see oil temp as not providing a whole lot of information.

This engine is obd2 and I will have a bluetooth dongle which will be connected to a dedicated phone (operating as a small instument panel) giving me additional engine diagnostics such as 02 sensor output. I see that as providing as much indication as a single egt probe would.

My other big question is the power circuits. What would you typically include on circuits and what should have dedicated circuits?

I'm going to have a radio, intercom, and transponder. I've had a really hard time finding information on these things. Specifically reviews. I want to go used as much as possible on these. I've seena lot of the KT76a' transponders by king for a very reasonable price. Any experience with those?

Back