• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Using motorcycle drive belts from BEHIND an engine

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doggzilla

It occured to me today while I was thinking about drive belts that a set of belts behind an engine could be used as a PSRU driving a shaft that then runs over the top of the engine between the valley on top of a V engine and to the front. It would use crankshaft bearings in custom mounts that have integrated tensioner bolts for the belts.

There are several massive advantages to this setup.

A) Allows gearing without PSRU

B) Allows auto engines to be used in standard configuration with accessories on front and drive on rear. Greatly reducing the level of modification required.

C) Allows use of off the shelf parts that can be inspected and replaced easily

D) Allows keeping radiator on front with fan, greatly simplifying the cooling system and reducing overall length and complexity.

E) Allows a higher prop mounting for better clearance/larger prop, much like a Spitfire or Mustang

F) AND MOST IMPORTANTLY: Allows gearing that can be inspected and modified easily without a casing around it.

Im sure there are more, but this is just what I can think of off the top of my head.

Back