• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

The Real Accident Rate

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ToddK

Supporting Member
Mike Patey's highly public crash in Draco, admission of culpability, and desire for aviators to "learn from his mistake" has resulted in an overwhelming amount of sympathy, applause and encouragement. Today on many of the FB aviation groups that I am a member of, there have been an unnerving number of similar admissions made by other aviators all in the vein of "helping people to learn from mistakes". Most have been the usual issues: fuel starvation and poor airmanship. I don't think I am wrong to wonder based on the content of these posts, how many of these accidents went un-reported, and what the real accident rate is for experimental aviation is.

Back