• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Welding..keep the skills

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Derswede

Had to do a bit of welding on the nose gear of the CGS Hawk. Pulled out the Oxy-acetylene torch and got it flaming. I had not used it in at least 5 years. Oxy regulator was leaking, probably a bad diaphragm, so I dug around until I found my father's old regulator, unused for at least 40 years. Put pressure onto the regulator, no leaks, confirmed that everything was working ok and was safe, fired the torch up and.....had to rethink the entire process. I had forgotten quite a bit about gas welding. It came back quickly, but I realized how out of practice I am. Got the piece welded, but it took awhile to let the memories come back. Just mentioning this as it got me thinking about keeping skills we all once had, but do we think about keeping the skills current? I will take my gas rig to my office, it will get used quite a bit more there. The wire welder is neat, but I had let the gas welding skills deteriorate. A friend who has welded for many years will give me a bit of a refresher course. Should keep me from hurting myself with it. Keep your skills up!

Derswede

Back