• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Viking 90 engine video.. your thoughts?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pfarber

I've noticed the following 'trends' from several 'auto conversion videos' and I think it should be pointed out.

PLEASE NOTE: This is for (my) educational purposes, when I was in A&P school there were a lot of extra steps that auto mechanics never, ever had to deal with. Conversely, with an auto engine there are a few things that are not done on on them that I think would be mandatory for flight.

NOTHING WAS LOCK/SAFETY WIRED. Big ass drain bolt on the bottom of the PSRU? Kinda important that it doesn't come out. Not safety wired (or even a lock washer). Oil filter? Not safety wired. There were also very few witness marks on bolts.

The 'Aircraft Spruce quality' cable mount was a simple metal crimp type, not rubberized.

The mounting bolts of the PSRU did not protrude past the lock nut (some did, most looked flush). I remember from A&P school that you needed at least 1-2 full threads past the nut. MANY bolts suffered from this 'to short' issue.

From The AMT General Handbook page 7-46

After the nut has been tightened, make sure the rounded or chamfered end of the bolts, studs, or screws extends at least the full round or chamfer through the nut. Flat end bolts, studs, or screws should extend at least 1 ⁄32 inch through the nut. Bolts of 5 ⁄16-inch diameter and over with cotter pin holes may be used with self-locking nuts, but only if free from burrs around the holes. Bolts with damaged threads and rough ends are not acceptable. Do not tap the fiber locking insert. The self-locking action of the elastic stop nut is the result of having the bolt threads impress themselves into the untapped fiber.

Do not install elastic stop nuts in places where the temperature is higher than 250 °F, because the effectiveness of the selflocking action is reduced beyond this point. Self-locking nuts may be used on aircraft engines and accessories when the engine manufacturer specifies their use.

Yet the Viking engine uses elastic stop nuts about 4 inches from the exhaust manifold.

Almost none of the wiring harness on the engine was protected, either with tape or plastic conduit. No stress/strain relief on most connectors to sensors or the ECU.

Does anyone see any other 'best practices' that were not performed?

Again, I have nothing against this company, they just happened to have a video that showed a lot of the engine.

Back