• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

The existential flying question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gregory Perkins

Do you as a pilot want to be able to land on the runway without damage if you have an engine out anywhere in the traffic pattern?

If yes, what does the pattern look like and what is the routine from any place in the pattern ?

I am of the opinion that what is being taught by the FAA is dumbed down for the lowest common denominator pilot with little skills and experience.

I cannot agree with the lowering of flaps prior to turning to base leg and the 90 degree turns from downwind to base and from base to final.

Years ago I adopted a single large low-banked arc from downwind to final and would lower flaps only when I was sure I had the runway made. Lowering flaps reduces your glide ability if you lose your engine. What is being taught requires that medium throttle be maintained to drag you to the
runway threshold and if you lose the engine you go down short.

With so many stall-spin accidents in the base to final phase, I cannot understand why they still teach the sharp 90 degree turns ..... except for what I said about the need to dumb it all down.

A subset of this is that most pilots feel a subconscious need to line up with the runway as if the threshold was the opening of a bottle and if you miss it you cannot land. If you were to for instance extend a little too far on your base leg before turning.... instead of a paniced over reaction and over banked maneuver to line you up with the threshold, there is nothing wrong with a more leisurely maneuver that places your touch down one third down the runway.... which involves your flying over the threshold way out to the side etc. on your way to lining up with the runway. This assumes of course a runway that is much longer than needed which is the case at every airport I visit.

The only negative to what I advocate, is that you dont get much practice for short field landings during off airport emergency scenarios.

Back